Breastfeeding Benefits Baby and Mum
Why is breastfeeding the golden standard in infant feeding? Well it is now known that the benefits associated with breastfeeding far exceed nutrition. Its unique composition imparts specific health benefits for the infant, both short- and long-term.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding - benefits to babies
- Breastmilk provides all the essential nutrients that meet the baby’s needs in the first 6 months of life²
- The proteins in breastmilk are easily digested and absorbed²
- Breastmilk contains many antibodies and immunoglobulins, which help to enhance the immunity of the baby, and reduce the chance of having allergic conditions and infections²
- less Diarrhoea¹
- less Chest infection¹
- less Middle ear infection¹
- less Respiratory tract infections¹
- less Obesity¹
- less Diabetes¹
Breastfeeding - benefits to mothers
- It reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancers³
- It helps contraction of the uterus and hence reduces postpartum bleeding or anaemia³
- It helps to reduce the body weight gained during pregnancy³
- Skin-to-skin contact during breastfeeding enhances bonding and increases the mum’s sense of satisfaction¹
- During breastfeeding, the close and intimate contact between the mother and baby greatly enhances mother-infant bonding²
(1)Department of Health, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Love, Starts from Breastfeeding” Brochure, Apr 2017
(2)Department of Health, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Breastfeeding” Brochure, Jun 2015
(3)Department of Health, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Why should I choose to breastfeed my baby?” Brochure, Aug 2014
Need parenting or nutrition advice?
Please contact our “First 1000 Days Nutrition Advisers”. Our team of registered nurses and nutrition consultants are here to answer your questions.